Penny Shima Glanz · problem solver: technology & yarn.
Recent Links of Interest
For QuoVadis: I prefer to think on paper, but I work in a digital world. I wasn’t surprised by the results of the paper vs electronic planning poll back in May. While my fingers can touch type much faster than I write, by combining both systems I can work more effectively.
Given the nature of my work — I offer technology advice and assistance for solo and small creative business — much of my life is digital. How do I find balance without creating copious amounts of either busy work or duplicate data?
(at the moment these are manually updated so I may get behind)
- where to make changes (2018-08-22) When customizing a WordPress theme, a common request is for changes to specific elements. These can range from modifying a heading font to where a specific item is displayed on the webpage. Some requests are easier to fulfill than others. Why? Read More »
- Ways to Grow your WordPress Skills (2018-08-01) Many of my clients have used WordPress for years and are advanced users. It’s (mostly) straightforward and they feel confident when choosing a new plugin or changing a small part of their site’s appearance. However, when things start to go awry they realize there are gaps in what they thought they knew and what we discuss as I debug and troubleshoot.Read More »
- Three tips for focus in a noisy space (2018-07-27) I often search out public spaces such as the library or Starbucks to enjoy a few cat-free moments and force myself to write. Some days it’s blissfully quiet. At other times there are meetings featuring voices at are… sharp. They cut through focus and attempt to divert … Read More »
- 3 tips when setting up a new planner (2018-07-13) I prefer to use Academic year planners as they change over at a time of the year that is generally quieter for me. It’s not yet Rosh Hashannah or end of December. This allows me to settle into them and be ready for when time provides other challenges. Read More »
- 3 tips for choosing a writing instrument (2018-07-24) While my focus here is primarily on the tools directly related to the fiber arts, I am particular about every tool I use. Several months ago I wrote about my notebooks. Today’s post will explore how I choose what I use to write inside … Read More »
- 5 lessons from my swatches (2018-07-10) I’ve been working on the Anzula swatches for several months now. I’ve learned many valuable lessons already, today I’ll discuss five that I think are the most important. I’m excited to discover what I’ll learn as I continue my explorations both in… Read More »
- planner status, July 2018 edition (2018-07-19) It’s been a while since my last planner status post. Why? I’m still using the same system! (and to my surprise, the same goalbook). This week started a new volume of the Principal so I thought it might be a good time to share some thoughts. I often believe that the best compliment I can give my tools is when I unintentionally ignore them. It’s not I don’t use them, it’s when I don’t have to stress about if they’ll… Read More »
- What I read in June (2018-07-05) It felt that I didn’t read much in June, but by my count, I once again completed thirteen titles. Three of them have triggered an urge to reread, I need to decide which series goes first. Read More »